Obviously I suffer from acne (hence A Spotty Woman) and my skin isn’t the biggest fan of makeup, think oil slick after about 5 minutes, but a girl does sometime have to wear make up!
I have hunted high and low for the last ten years to find products that don’t make me produce masses of excess oil and that will cover a multitude of different spot types (I think I’ve had pretty much all of them).
So these are my go to products when I have blemishes:
1. Clinique Anti-Blemish Foundation – I always start with a bit of this all over my face whatever spots I do or don’t have. This is the only foundation I’ve found that I can wear for more than 30 minutes without causing an oily mess. Plus it gives great coverage! If my spots aren’t too bad I’ll stop here, but if they aren’t.. Then I’ll continue!
2. MAC Foundation Brush – they seem pricy but I’ve had this one for about 10 years and I just keep washing it regularly with baby shampoo to make sure no spot germs live in it. I use this to get really even coverage with the Clinique foundation above.
3. Vichy Dermablend Fluid Corrective Foundation – this stuff is amazing! It’s quite heavy though so I don’t tend to wear it as an actually foundation as it literally blanks you out all over and I feel a bit doll like. I do use it to cover spots though and there’s nothing like it. It’s great for spots that are a bit dry as it doesn’t go cakey.
4. MAC Conealer Pot – I’ve been using this concealer for about 10 years (probably bought it the first time when I got my foundation brush!) but obviously I’ve repurchased this many times. It’s quite heavy so it’s best for really red angry spots or dark marks left by spots. I don’t like it on dry spots though.
5. Bare Minerals Original Foundation – I use this for everything depending on what coverage I need. I sometimes use it as a foundation if my skin is quite good but I always use it as a powder to set the liquid/pot concealed areas. I then tap some into the lid and using my finger or a flat brush I dab it on to spots that haven’t covered using any of the above methods. It’s particularly good for weepy spots that are a bit open wound like.. (Although obviously not open wounds but those ones that just won’t stop weeping!)
6. Bare Minerals Foundation Brush – this is my go to powder brush, it blends so well!
I love this Lisa Eldridge tutorial for good acne coverage too –